HAVE TROUBLE PEEING?
DEC 14, 2018 5,18 PM
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) also called prostate gland enlargement is a common condition in men above 50. Although it is non-cancerous, an enlarged prostate gland can cause reduction in flow or it may also take longer to initiate a urine stream.
“When we look at the anatomy of the prostate, it is basically a small walnut size gland which sits below the bladder where the urine passes through. The prostate actually produces alkaline fluids."
Common perception is that whenever a man ejaculate, the whole thing is sperm. In fact, only 60 to 80 per cent is seminal fluid and the remaining 20 per cent is sperm. Within the seminal fluid, there is the alkaline fluid that is actually produced by the prostate where it neutralises the acid proponent inside the vagina of the lady – so that the sperm can actually penetrate and move along.
"It actually acts as a conduit for the semen to pass. The analogy is an apple, we have the skin and the fleshy white bit. Imagine, drilling a hole through the apple and the urine passing through it. The fleshy white bit where BPH takes place enlarges and narrows the part in which the urine actually flows," explained Dr S A Balan, Consultant Urologist, Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
What are the symptoms of BPH?
Patients who speak of prostate and a reduction in flow are usually concerned if it is cancerous. However, Dr Balan pointed out that the cancer does not occur from the white flashy bit, but from the skin – the peripheral zone of the prostate.
Transurethral resection (TURP) gold standard is one of the most effective options for treating urinary symptoms caused by BPH. During TURP, a combined visual and surgical instrument is inserted through the tip of the penis and into the tube that carries urine from the bladder. Using the resectoscope, excess prostate tissue blocking urine flow is trimmed away. This increases the size of the channel that allows you to empty your bladder.
Other surgical treatments available are open surgery (prostatectomy), TUVP (Lasers) and prostatic stents.
The culture of colourism: The obsession with lighter skin tones driving opportunities in the skin lighteners market
Arson, animal cruelty and lack of remorse - traits of personality disorders to look out for in a person
Astrazeneca signs MoA with InvestKL to improve access to healthcare, explore digital transformation in the management of diseases
Keytruda with chemotherapy to be the first line of treatment for patients with advanced lung cancer